Paving & Driveways

1 April 2022 – 2 Minute Read

How can I find paving companies that are reputable?

You can find trusted paving and driveways companies in your local area using . Check that the company is accredited or part of a reputable association with qualified trades. Also check to see how long the company has been in business for, and whether it has a good reputation in its industry. Search for reviews of the company's previous work online and assess whether other customers have been happy with the work provided.

How much does paving cost?

A general driveway or patio of around 50m2 in size will cost around £4,250 to pave. Pricing will also depend on how long the project takes, the experience of the trades laying the paving, the area being covered, and what the job involves. Block paving prices may vary based on where you are located in the country (traders in London and the South-East for example will always be more expensive, and could cost closer to £5,000 for 50m2). There will also be additional groundwork that needs to be completed before paving can begin, so this should be considered. Additional costs include edgings and blocks, sand, skip hire and additional supplies to complete the job — which can be up to an extra £2,500 . A reputable paver should include these extras in their quote.

How do you choose a paving company?

It is best to get multiple quotes from different paving contractors so that you can make the right decision for your budget. The cheapest is not always going to be the best, so get a minimum of 3 quotes from different paving companies in your local area using . Make sure the contractor has public liability insurance so you can make a claim should an accident happen as a result of their work. Also ask the contractor if they have a code of conduct, and a free guarantee. Check previous reviews from other customers and see if a contractor has any accreditations, has won awards or if they are a member of a trade association.

How much does it cost for a new driveway?

Around 80% of the cost of a new driveway goes towards preparing the ground to lay the paving. The other 20% is spent on the actual materials. You should expect to spend an average of £60 per m2 for your new driveway. This could be cheaper or more expensive though depending on the materials you choose. Gravel will always be more affordable, while resin or concrete is more expensive.

How long will repaving my driveway take?

The amount of time it takes to repave a driveway will be based on its size. Generally speaking, a driveway should take between 4 and 5 days to pave. This is because the old driveway needs to be removed, foundations prepared and matting should be put down to prevent weeds. The new paving can then be laid. If you have a small driveway of around 40m2 or less, the project should take no more than 5 days. If you have a bigger driveway that is between 70 to 100m2, the project could take up to 8 days.